During Question Time today, the opposition decided not to ask Industry Minister Christian Porter questions about his decision to drop his libel action against ABC yesterday for reporting an allegation of historical rape against him.
But earlier on Tuesday, Labor leader Anthony Albanese reiterated his call for Mr Porter to be independently investigated into his suitability for minister when he was questioned on the matter during a press conference.
“Well, it’s very clear that Christian Porter’s performance yesterday, where he tried to turn what was a surrender into a victory, was quite extraordinary. There must be a proper, independent and independent inquiry into whether Christian Porter is a fit and appropriate person to serve as Cabinet Minister, ”Mr. Albanese said.
The CBA and Mr Porter agreed to settle the case, with Mr Porter getting a grant from the CBA to add an editor’s note that the charges could not be supported by a criminal or civil legal standard. But the broadcaster argued that it had not paid any compensation to Mr Porter, only his mediation costs. The article at the center of the litigation remains online and Mr Porter has vehemently denied the allegation.
Finance Minister Simon Birmingham rejected Labor’s new request for an investigation when asked about it on Sky News.
“I think there was no reason for another change in approach, other than to support the independence of our police force and the independence of our courts. In this regard, the CBA has provided clarification following the deal it made with Christian Porter, paying part of its legal costs. It’s a matter between him and the CBA, ”said Senator Birmingham.